Medical Records


Is my medical record confidential?

Your medical record is confidential. The only ones entitled to access your medical record are you and any health professional or staff from Concordia University Health Services. As a rule nobody can consult your medical record without first obtaining your written consent. However the following exceptions are provided for under the law:  suicide, homicide, and child abuse.

Do I have access to my medical record?

For all requests pertaining to copies in whole or part of your medical file there will be a preparation fee of $20 for 20 pages or less. For charts above 20 pages, there will be an additional fee of 50 cents ($0.50) per page. Payment to be made in advance and payable by credit or debit card.

Exceptionally, you may be denied access to your medical record. The law states that you can be denied access when your physician/psychiatrist believes that it could be seriously harmful for your physical or mental health.

Can my family obtain access to my medical record without my consent?

No. Your family cannot obtain access to your medical information without your signed authorization.

Can my employer obtain access to medical information about me?

Under certain circumstances, some information may be released to individuals who manage the work insurance plan. For example if you are absent from work for a period of time due to illness (see collective agreements) your employer may ask for a medical report justifying your absence in order to evaluate your eligibility to the salary-insurance indemnities under Concordia University’s sick leave plan. However only the persons mandated by the employer to manage the salary-insurance plan (Benefits Department) have access to this information. A medical certificate is never released by Health Services without your signed consent. Your immediate supervisor may be provided with a medical certificate stating the amount of time you will be off on sick leave upon a signed consent for you. However, even in these situations, the diagnosis is not shared.

What if my medical record is kept at a hospital or another medical office?

You are entitled to access your medical records which are kept at a hospital or medical office. You can obtain a copy by addressing your request to the person in charge of access to hospital records or the medical office administrator. A fee may be requested prior to providing you with a copy.

What can you do if you are denied access to your records or if your request is unanswered?

If a private clinic fails to reply to your request you can request that the Commission d’accès a l’information review the request.

The Commission will then review the dispute and decide whether the clinic was right to refuse you access to your record.  If the Commission rules in your favour, they can force the clinic to give you access to your record.

You must submit your request to the Commission within thirty days of the refusal by the clinic to grant you access.

The application must be made within 30 calendar days of the date of refusal to grant access where the decision was taken prior to the expiry of the response period (30 days for a private clinic). If there is no response to your request, the 30 day period is calculated as the expiry of the period within which the clinic had to reply

If a hospital fails to reply quickly (by law, in the shortest delay) or refuses to grant you access to your record or specific information therein, you may:

How long will my file be kept at Health Services

Your file is kept in Health Services for a period of 2 years since the last active visit. After two years your file is considered not active and sent to Archives.


Last updated: Wednesday, October 3, 2012