Well controlled asthma means living a normal and active life.
The following are indications that your asthma is under control:
- Symptoms occur on 3 days or less per week.
- You don’t miss work or school due to asthma.
- You have a normal ability to exercise.
- You need 3 doses or less per week of a reliever medication (aside from pre-exercise treatments of up to 1 dose per day).
- No periods of significantly worsening asthma.
- Nighttime symptoms occur on no more than 1 night every 2 weeks.
- Peak flow within a normal range – usually greater than 85% of your personal best.
Adapted from the Canadian Asthma Consensus Report 1999, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. Vol. 161, Issue 11.
Take The 30 Second Asthma Test and test your asthma control.